Trying to kick the booze this year, but dreaming of holding a delightful beverage that still greases the social gears? Look no further! Did you know that hemp can actually help reduce anxiety (including that pesky social stress)? Imagine getting to socialize in your most lighthearted form, and still being able to remember it all the next day! What if you could get all of the relaxing benefits from a delicious drink while nourishing your body and soul? This creamy, nutty delight will having you feeling warm and fuzzy!
Golden Milk at its most basic is milk that is infused with turmeric. Turmeric is known to have potent anti inflammatory properties due to a compound called curcumin – these benefits are well-known, as turmeric has been used in ayurvedic medicine for centuries! Modern science has also backed this knowledge up by discovering specific antioxidant properties as well as antimicrobial properties of this amazing root. This Golden Milk recipe brings in another heavy-hitter in the anti inflammatory world – full spectrum hemp tincture! By combining the health effects of turmeric with those of hemp, we get a drink that nourishes head to toe while tasting great, resulting in a relaxing calm and sense of well being. This is the perfect drink for those January resolutions, whether that is taking a break from alcohol or simply part of a resolution to consume more food that is a gift to our body. The anti-inflammatory effects make it great for helping with pain or helping the body to heal itself, and the mood boosting properties of the hemp will have you feeling blissed out even on the dreariest winter day!
The Appalachian Standard Greenhouse Blend tincture is a perfect fit for this recipe because it is made with MCT oil derived from coconut oil which blends perfectly with the creamy coconut and almond milk base of this Golden Milk. The slightly earthy taste of the tincture works perfectly with the subtle spices of the other ingredients as well. Hemp’s active compounds are only soluble in fats or solvents such as alcohol so a creamy drink like this is one of the best ways to metabolise these compounds for optimum effects! Similarly, turmeric works best when bonded to a fat so the healthy fats in this drink are doing a lot of heavy lifting! This recipe also adds in some other delicious and healthy ingredients like ginger, honey, cinnamon, and black pepper which all bring their own benefits to the party – black pepper notably contains piperine which is a compound that has been shown to synergistically increase the absorption of the curcumin in the turmeric.
RECIPE (makes 24 oz/ 3 Cups)The recipe makes 24 oz and I like to drink it in 3 8 oz cup servings but you may want to drink 2 12 oz servings, etc. Dose based on how many servings you think you will get out of 24 oz. I like to use a dose of tincture that contains 250mg spread out over 3 servings for roughly 80mg per cup.
- 1 Can of Light Coconut Milk, unsweetened
- 1 ½ Cups Almond Milk, unsweetened (you can use sweetened but may want to lower the additional honey sweetening accordingly).
- 2 Teaspoons turmeric powder
- ½ Teaspoon Ginger powder
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of your finest honey 🙂
- Appalachian Standard Greenhouse Blend tincture**
DIRECTIONSTo make the drink, all you will need is a saucepan and whisk or other stirring device.
- Simply combine all of the ingredients, except the tincture, and warm over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring to mix everything up and prevent burning.
- Don’t bring it to a boil or even a simmer, just heat it up enough that all of the ingredients can make friends, without degrading the healthy goodness of its components. You will actually be able to see the drink turn a deep golden yellow as the powdered turmeric “wakes up” and binds to the fats in the drink!
- Once it is heated thoroughly, add the tincture and whisk well until fully combined (no oil floating at the top).